The Vermont Progressive Party offers this platform to preserve and sustain democracy, guarantee inalienable rights, and promote the general welfare of the citizens of the State of Vermont.
Download a handy printable version of the platform here
. This can be folded into an easily shareable booklet when printed two-sided.
Progressives believe health care is a human right, and support single-payer health care, birth to death, free of private corporate interests (insurance companies), provided through a nonprofit, publicly financed system. We will work to:
- Implement full-spectrum single-payer health care, including preventive and mental health care.
- Establish community health centers to deliver medical and mental healthcare services.
- Subsidize medical school tuition at UVM for students who agree to practice in Vermont after graduation.
Progressives believe public education is the essential and most inclusive institution in our communities, offering opportunities for all to participate. We will work to:
- Promote a public education system, Pre-K–12, that provides equal and equitable opportunities for all our children.
- Replace the residential education property tax with a progressive income tax.
- Increase the State of Vermont’s share of special-education funding and improve the quality of services offered.
- Reduce postsecondary tuition costs for Vermonters; include free housing at Vermont state colleges for Vermont students.
- Repeal the Federal No Child Left Behind Act with its excessive emphasis on standardized testing.
- Oppose voucher programs, which undercut public education.
- Support educator efforts at fair, constructive, and comprehensive evaluation and review.
Progressives are committed to public safety. We will work to:
- Invest in prevention and anti violence programs.
- Discontinue the failed “war on drugs.”
- Fund drug and alcohol rehabilitation programs.
- Limit incarceration to offenders who pose a threat to public safety.
- Create effective penalties against driving under the influence to ensure public safety.
- Work to provide in-state placements and treatment (rather than out-of-state).
- Advocate for vocational and workplace training for offenders and youth at risk.
- Provide education and literacy support in all corrections settings.
Progressives will preserve Vermont’s national leadership as a champion of civil rights, in the tradition of Vermont’s history as the first state to outlaw slavery. Progressives believe our right to personal privacy, guaranteed in the U.S. Constitution, is unconditional. We will work to:
- Support marriage equity for same-sex couples.
- Ensure women’s rights to control their bodies and their choices.
- Establish a Zero-Tolerance standard statewide toward all forms of discrimination and harassment (e.g., sexual) in schools and workplaces.
- Protect the confidentiality of commercial transactions and medical information.
- Restrict the ability of the state, cities, and towns to eavesdrop on private citizens.
Progressives believe that a vibrant and sustainable economy is one that recognizes preeminence of the “quality of life” concept and insists on a decent standard of living for all Vermonters. We will work to:
- Establish and guarantee that the minimum wage must be a livable wage.
- Advocate for the rights of workers to unionize and require all state contracts to be awarded only to businesses that pay a livable wage.
- Insist that Vermont contract only with responsible employers that hire local employees.
- Require that state-funded institutions buy products and services from Vermont farms and businesses wherever feasible.
- Promote cooperative, worker-owned, and publicly owned enterprises as an alternative to huge profit-driven multinational corporations.
- Calculate the economic impact resulting from the degradation of Vermont’s natural resources when evaluating the state’s economic development.
- Change from Gross Domestic Product to another measure such as the Genuine Progress Indicator or Gross National Happiness indicator.
- Fight to reverse the doctrine of “corporate personhood.”
- Guarantee employment opportunity at a living wage to all working-age Vermonters.
- Support the concept of a state bank.
Progressives believe that Vermont’s natural environment is the foundation of our health, quality of life, and economy. We will work to:
- Protect our water, air, and biodiversity through strict enforcement of existing regulations, the creation of new regulations, and financial incentives that reward responsible stewardship.
- Strengthen effective land-use planning policies (e.g., Act 250, Current Use Program) that support town centers, farming, forestry, and conservation.
- Promote environmentally sound use of Vermont’s natural resources by supporting composting, expanding recycling, reducing hazardous waste, and restoring polluted sites to environmental health.
- Support and develop alternative energy resources and practices, statewide mass transit, and energy-efficiency programs to combat global warming/climate change.
- Create a carbon tax that is used for green projects/alternative energy.